How to Be a Crunkcore Girl
Crunkcore is a musical genre, taking elements from techno, emo, screamo, rap, and pop. And like many genres, evolved into a style.
Listen to Crunkcore music. In order to be a proper Crunkcore girl, the music should come first. Bands such as Fat Ghost, Lil Jon, BrokenCYDE, Hollywood Undead, Dot Dot Curve, 3OH!3, Blood on the Dance Floor, Breathe Carolina, Dropping a Popped Locket, I Set My Friends On Fire, JayReck, J Bigga, Love-Note-Paper-Plane, Millionaires, Outta Play, Scene Kidz, and Snap Crackle pop all fall under the category of Crunkcore.
Get the look. Crunkcore bands are big on fashion and mix together crazy accessories, hairstyles, and colours. Hair is often outgrown and messy, and dyed crazy colours. Most Crunkcore kids, much like ‘scene’ kids, will straighten and tease their hair.
- Sunglasses are very popular amongst the listeners of Crunkcore, and the musicians themselves. Shutter shades or crazy-shaped glasses are often worn, whether it be an actual pair of glasses, on a necklace, t-shirt, anything.
- Piercings are also a big trend. Snakebites, tongue piercings, nose rings, etc. are all very popular and fashionable in Crunkcore fashion.
- Arab-style scarves are also a must have. BrokenCYDE amongst many other bands have been seen sporting the look, as well as gold chain necklaces, with huge dollar signs and other items hanging from them.
- Clothing is often very bright and tight-fitted. Hoodies are becoming hugely popular, especially in neon colours and graffiti-styled patterns. Skinny jeans are also a popular choice, along with any other denim jeans. Bright coloured jeans are usually worn, and outfits are usually accessorized with wristbands.
- Shoes are always very bright and luminous, usually a crazy style that doesn’t necessarily match the rest of the outfit. The more colour the better. Vans and dunks are among the most popular choices for footwear.
- Make-up can also be very bright and crazy. Black eyeliner winged out to the side, red lipstick and huge amounts of blusher, along with a neon eye shadow sometimes going all the way to the eyebrows.
- Don’t go overboard and don’t become obsessed. Wearing heavy jewelry, tons of make-up to school, and constant talking about Crunkcore will earn you the name ‘poser’ and nothing more.
- Be happy and nice to everyone, don’t act stuck up or ‘too cool’ for everyone else because you’re neon and crazy.
- The so-called “Arab-style” scarf is called a Keffiyeh and it is a political symbol. Make sure you know the background and meaning of the scarf and the symbolism behind it before you decide to wear it.
- A lot of Crunkcore-styled outfits are unsuited for school. Never wear too much, and never blast out the music. You may love it, but that doesn’t go for everyone. Be careful not to break the dress code or get in trouble.